Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Alright, Mr. Deville. I am ready for my close-up.

Dear Old Me,
I did something I have never done before this morning. Well a couple of things, really. First, I got my butt out of bed at 5am to leave my house and workout. I have to admit that I actually liked it. A lot. I already have a workout in for the day and it feels awesome to be ahead of the game. I still plan on going to my Wednesday class with Jamee. I don’t think I would miss it for the world. I think I might make these Monday and Wednesday 6am classes part of my regular routine. I am stepping my game up so that I can be totally ready for Zumba certification in September. So, an hour in the morning and an hour plus at night. I am so committed and motivated to reach this goal.  I need as much practice as I can get.

The other thing I did today that was a first is I WAS ON TV! Check out this clip…
The class I went to this morning was being taped by the local news for a story on “The Utah Zumba Man” Dale Parker. I have been to a couple of his classes and really enjoy his choreographies and style. He asked me to come out to support him for this taping. Dale said to me one time that Zumba took him from the very lowest point in his life to the very highest and happiest places (now) and he wants to share Zumba with everyone. I couldn’t agree more. I so relate to how he feels. I credit a lot of my happiness right now to Zumba and my Zumba family. I am really glad I went this morning. It was fun to share the Zumba Love and truthfully, I wanted to see myself in motion. I know it probably sounds vain, but I watched the video over and over again just to watch myself. Do you see me? Or should I say do you see you? You may not recognize yourself. Pink and orange shirt, white bandana... I am only in the clip for a few seconds, but I am there moving, dancing, sweating and being a part of something bigger than me. I feel fantastic about the way I look in the clip. I almost can't believe it is me.

 I am not sure I will ever get used to the fact that I  am normal sized. Maybe with time it will become familiar to me, but right now it is the most foreign thing. After all, Old Me, I am still the old me. I carried the equivalent of a full grown adult with me for over 14 years. It might take me just as long to get used to being normal. Hopefully not, but it might. In the meantime, I will consciously make an effort to not shy away from attention. I will hold my head up and walk tall. I will do things that stretch me outside my comfort level without fear of being humiliated or looking gross to other people. I didn’t get fat, or lose all this weight over night and it will take me a while to get used to it. However, I am walking, talking and dancing proof that anyone can go from the biggest of big to just like everyone else. Believe it.

Love,
The New You

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha.... I was at work so I couldn't watch the video with sound. I just had a chance to. Poor Dale. They did two interviews and he messed up on one. Obviously they chose that one to use. Oh my.

    ReplyDelete